Military Records

DD 214, Discharge Papers & Separation Documents

(to request Military Records or DD214’s only)
**Click here to access the form needed to request your military records: AGO 26-12**
**Click here for instructions on how to complete the AGO 26-12**

Contact Us

Military Records and Research Branch

1700 Louisville Rd, Bldg #317
Frankfort Ky 40601
Main Phone: 502-607-6041
Fax: 502-607-6040

The Military Records and Research Branch has personnel files for all former members of the Kentucky Army and Air National Guard and DD-214s for veterans whose home of record was Kentucky when they entered the service.

Personnel desiring to obtain their military records must complete the AGO 26-12 form. The form must be filled out and may be sent via email, fax or regular mail. Do not add Social Security Number or Department of Defense Identification number to this form unless sending by FAX. You may call the Military Records Branch after you have mailed or emailed this form to provide SSN or DOD ID to an authorized representative assisting in your request.

All requests must contain the requestor’s signature. Copies of documents can only be provided to the veteran or, if he/she is deceased, his/her surviving next of kin.

Looking for separation documents?

A report of separation is generally issued when a service member performs active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training. The Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment and membership in veterans’ organizations. Information shown on the Report of Separation may include the service member’s:

  • Date and place of entry into active duty
  • Home address at time of entry
  • Date and place of release from active duty
  • Home address after separation
  • Last duty assignment and rank
  • Military job specialty
  • Military education
  • Decorations, medals, badges, citations, and campaign awards
  • Total creditable service
  • Foreign service credited
  • Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes)

The report of separation form issued in most recent years is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.